Ask the Expert
Your Heavy Duty Questions!
I was looking for clarification to learn if Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil is JASO MA/ MA2 approved?
- Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil is not approved for JASO MA/ MA2. However, you can use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 and 15W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil which are approved for the specification in its place. Both of the Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic products provide better cold cranking properties and low temperature pumpability1. That means the oil reaches critical engine parts faster in colder temperatures, to minimize wear and make hard work easier in cold climates.
- To learn more about the Shell Rotella Full Synthetic portfolio, visit https://rotella.shell.com/en_ca/products/full-synthetic-and-blend-oil/t6-full-synthetic.html
Can extended life coolants be mixed together and how do I correct problems if my coolant additives will not provide the correct protection?
- First, it is important to know what type of coolant your engine supplier requires. We recommend that different types of extended life coolants (ELC) not be mixed as they may not be compatible with each other. It is also important to make sure the additive levels in Rotella ELC/Rotella ELC NF are at the minimum level if they may have been reduced by contamination/dilution with coolants containing other types of additives. This can be confirmed with the Acustrip 480507 Test Strips for Shell ROTELLA® ELC AFC which provide a simple method to confirm corrosion inhibitor content. More information on these test strips is available at https://www.acustrip.com/cgi-bin/proddesc.cgi?s=480507. Shell Rotella ELC Correction Fluid can be used to restore additive levels when they are diluted.
- The correction fluid restores corrosion inhibitor levels to satisfactory new levels and will help extend the service life of Shell Rotella ELC NF beyond 600,000 miles. When properly maintained, Shell Rotella ELC NF can provide extended life operation up to 1,200,000 miles in Class 8 over the road operation2. The Correction Fluid can also be used to convert other brands of extended life coolants into Shell Rotella ELC NF.
- To learn more about the Shell Rotella extended life coolants, visit https://rotella.shell.com/en_ca/products/lubricants-heavy-duty-products/antifreeze-coolant.html
1 Shell Rotella® T6 demonstrates better low temperature flow in SAE J300 requirements including MRV (ASTM D4684) and CCS (ASTM D5293) compared to conventional 15W-40
2 Shell Rotella® ELC Nitrite Free may be used up to 1,200,000 miles or 24,000 hours of operation in Class 8 trucks reducing maintenance costs and downtime compared to conventional, fully formulated AFCs. Requires full use of Shell Rotella® ELC Nitrite-Free 50/50 Coolant + Antifreeze in the system and proper maintenance. Proper maintenance as detailed at shell.us/coolants. Follow OEM recommendations for specified maintenance. Passenger car maintenance and other commercial application requirements vary.